The Early Days
In 1912, Sunnyside was part of a previous Comprehensive Plan, aiming to develop the peninsula to become a woodland retreat from the city, in the spirit of something like Mt Gretna, PA. Adjacent to Sunnyside, was the Rocky Springs Amusement Park, which operated from the early 1900s until 1965. The Rocky Springs Trolley line ran through the peninsula, connecting Lancaster City to Sunnyside and continuing on to Rock Springs. What an exciting time this must have been to live in and around Sunnyside!

1930 – 1960s: The Decline
Along came the Great Depression and these plans fell apart. During the Great Depression, Sunnyside fell into decline. Around the 1930s, the J M Brenner Company came to the peninsula, establishing a stone quarry on what had once been pristine farmland and forest. By 1940, Satellite imagery shows the quarry. By the time of the 1957 satellite photo, the stone quarry had ravaged the central peninsula.
As the nail in the coffin, in 1950, Angelini and Groff Auto Salvage arrived. These two developments sealed Sunnyside’s fate as a forgotten area of Lancaster City.
For DECADES, Sunnyside was a forgotten Ward
1950s – 2000s: Decades of Stagnation
As Decades past, industry ravaged the peninsula, yet “Sunnysiders” persevered, developing their own community, and becoming a distinct group of people with pride and purpose.
450 : 40
In 1960, an estimated 450 residents lived on the peninsula. Today, less than 40 households remain
1986
In 1986, then Mayor, Art Morris, fights to bring public water and sewer to the Sunnyside Peninsula
In the early 1950s, Sunnyside residents petitioned the City of Lancaster to become part of the city, seeking improvements to the peninsula. In 1955, the City of Lancaster granted their wish and annexed the peninsula. Sunnyside was now part of Lancaster City. However, the city did little to improve their plight. It took until the mid 1980s before Sunnysiders would even be provided with public water and sewer.
Through the decades, the stone quarry and auto salvage dominated the peninsula, at the expense of the residents. Population declined, and those who stayed lived very simply. The quarry operated until 1985, at which point it was flooded for safety. Lancaster City now owns the quarry. The Auto Salvage was shuttered in 2004, allowing clean-up to finally begin.



2004 – Present: Recovery
The 2005 Satellite imagery (top) shows the end of the auto salvage. Vehicles were removed that same year. Plenty of site cleanup remains, however you can see from the 2018 Satellite photo that for the most part the Sycamore Ridge site is a blank slate.


