HISTORY

In 1912, Sunnyside was part of a previous Comprehensive Plan, aiming to develop the peninsula to become a woodland retreat from the city, in the spirit of something like Mt Gretna, PA. Adjacent to Sunnyside, was the Rocky Springs Amusement Park, which operated from the early 1900s until 1965. The Rocky Springs Trolley line ran through the peninsula, connecting Lancaster City to Sunnyside and continuing on to Rock Springs. What an exciting time this must have been to live in and around Sunnyside!

Along came the Great Depression and these plans fell apart. During the Great Depression, Sunnyside fell into decline. Around the 1930s, the J M Brenner Company came to the peninsula, establishing a stone quarry on what had once been pristine farmland and forest. By 1940, Satellite imagery shows the quarry. By the time of the 1957 satellite photo, the stone quarry had ravaged the central peninsula.

As the nail in the coffin, in 1950, Angelini and Groff Auto Salvage arrived. These two developments sealed Sunnyside’s fate as a forgotten area of Lancaster City.

In 1960, an estimated 450 residents lived on the peninsula. Today, less than 40 households remain

In 1986, then Mayor, Art Morris, fights to bring public water and sewer to the Sunnyside Peninsula

The 2005 Satellite imagery (top) shows the end of the auto salvage. Vehicles were removed that same year. Plenty of site cleanup remains, however you can see from the 2018 Satellite photo that for the most part the Sycamore Ridge site is a blank slate.